Three Days to Say I Love You

By Angela Jewell

 

Summary: At Jusendou, Akane came back to life... But at what cost?

 

Disclaimer: As most people know, I don’t own these characters (unfortunately!) and am merely borrowing them for this story. So, if you bother to sue me, you’ll lose and still be broke.

 

Thank you to everyone who reviewed! You all gave me the motivation I needed to write!! ^_^

 

Chapter 2

The Bargain

 

The Hannya regarded Akane through narrowed eyes, her expression cold and calculating. All signs of any warmth had long since disappeared, and Akane found herself growing uncomfortable under the heat of her gaze. To her, the Oni had never looked more like a demon.

 

“So, you said you could help me?” Akane asked softly, getting right to the point. Her head was still reeling from the affects of having her memory invaded, but oddly enough, her mind was completely open—it felt like she had never thought clearer.

 

A small smile formed on the Hannya’s face as she nodded. “I said I can help you—but whether or not I do is up to you.”

 

Akane frowned. She should have known the Oni wasn’t going to make this easy. “Well then,” she began tersely, “what can you do?”

 

The Hannya’s smile faded as her expression became serious. “I can send you back to your life,” she said slowly, carefully. “But there is a catch. There are consequences, you see, and there are rules.”

 

Akane nodded. She had lived with Nabiki long enough to realize that everything came with a price. “What kind of rules?” she asked uneasily.

 

“Well, it’s more of a little bargain, really,” the Hannya explained, as she slowly began to move closer. “I send you back on one condition, and if you are unable to fulfill the… terms… of our agreement,” the Oni paused to smile down at her. “Then you belong to me.”

 

Akane swallowed nervously. There was a predatory look in the Oni’s eyes that frightened her—like a wolf stalking its prey. “What do you want from me?” she asked, suddenly afraid of the woman standing before her.

 

The Hannya took a step back. “You have, shall we say, a power that I crave,” she replied lightly. “If there is any chance that I can obtain that power, then of course I am willing to help you.”

 

Akane looked at her strangely. “Power?” she asked in confusion. “But I don’t have any powers.”

 

The Oni smiled. “Not all powers can be seen, Akane.”

 

That made sense. Happosai and Cologne weren’t much to look at, she reminded herself, and yet, both of them held powers that others could hardly dream of.

 

Akane looked up at the Hannya, her expression serious and confident. “And what happens if I manage to fulfill the agreement?” she asked.

 

The Oni pouted, frowning. “Our deal would be complete. You’d stay right where you are, happy and alive.”

 

Akane’s voice shook. “And if I lose?” she asked softly.

 

The Hannya simply smiled.

 

Well, that settles it, Akane thought. No matter what happens, she commanded herself, don’t lose. With strength she didn’t know she possessed, Akane gathered up the courage to ask the one question she’d been fearing all along.

 

“What would I have to do?”

 

The Hannya’s eyes seemed to glow in the darkness, and Akane felt her fear returning. “There is something you must understand first,” the Oni said, as she grabbed a handful of her silken gown and clutched it tightly in her palm. “I am a Hannya, Akane,” she explained. “First and foremost, it is crucial that you understand this.” She sighed, seemingly lost in thought, and then angrily dropped the silk at her side. “Because of that, the only power I possess is the power to reunite forsaken lovers—or condemn them.”

 

Akane blushed. “Forsaken lovers?” she asked, embarrassed. “But I’m not— I mean, Ranma and I, we’re not—”

 

The Hannya stopped her words with a cold stare. “You were torn from him,” she said angrily. “It matters not how. All that matters is that I have the power to reunite you for a short time. Whether or not that time is lengthened, however, depends on him.”

 

Akane’s eyes widened. “On him?” she asked incredulously. “But… but I still don’t understand. What does Ranma have to do with any of this?”

 

The Oni grinned, her teeth bared. “Like I said,” she replied icily. “Everything depends on him. Whether or not you win, whether or not I win. He, my dear, is the key.”

 

Akane looked at her angrily. “Why?” she demanded impatiently. “How?”

 

The Hannya stared at her through eyes of gray steel as she lowered her voice. “He has to say he loves you within three days,” she explained. “If he succeeds, you win—but if he doesn’t—” her voice trailed off.

 

Akane stood in shock, unsure how to react. Ranma? Say he loves me? Akane felt all hope fade away. There was no way! Even she hadn’t been able to admit it until her mind was invaded by the Oni—the idea of Ranma saying it was just ludicrous. And in three days! The stubborn jerk would die before saying something like that.

 

“You love him,” said the Oni, sensing her predicament. “That should be all the incentive you need.”

 

“Yes. I love him,” she replied angrily. “But I have no idea how he feels about me.” Pausing, Akane frowned, and then took a deep, shaky breath. “Besides,” she went on, “he has two other fiancée’s, remember? And in case you’ve forgotten after the whole mind-melding thing, I’m the UN-cute one.”

 

The Hannya put a hand to her temple in thought. “Well, I’m afraid it’s the only condition there is. It’s that or,” the Oni made a sweeping motion with her hand, encompassing the entire black void. “Or it’s this. The choice is yours. But, I’m warning you,” she added, her eyes narrowed. “It’s the only chance you’ll get.”

 

Akane nodded mutely, in deep thought.

 

She didn’t know what to do.

 

She wanted to live, she knew that much, but should she chance it? After all, she wasn’t even sure if she could trust the Oni to keep her word—what if by some miracle Ranma did admit he loved her and she still died?

 

At least here, she could pass on… maybe she could even find her mother.

 

Thoughts of her mother, however, brought to mind memories of her family. Images of her father’s tear-stained face suddenly filled her mind, and Akane shook her head, willing the image away. Then, more pictures appeared, Kasumi and Nabiki, crying—they had all lost so much when their mother had died. She couldn’t stand putting them through all that again…

 

And of course there was Ranma.

 

She knew he would blame himself for her death, even if it wasn’t his fault… and she couldn’t stand the thought of Shampoo and Ukyo using her death as a way to stick their claws into him.

 

And Mr. and Mrs. Saotome, her friends at school… she couldn’t just abandon all of them, now, could she?

 

Akane tried to smile.

 

Ranma would do it, she berated herself. If he was in this situation instead of her, she had no doubt whatsoever that he would accept. He’d look at it as another challenge—another opponent to be defeated. Honestly, the moron was so predictable.

 

Akane’s smile faltered.

 

But he was always stronger than her… no matter how hard she tried to equal him…

 

She shook her head, trying to rid herself of such depressing thoughts. She wouldn’t get anywhere if she kept comparing herself to Ranma, she decided. Besides, there were still a few things she needed to know before she made her final decision. Akane looked over at the Hannya. “The rules,” she said, remembering that she didn’t know them yet. “You said there were rules. What are they?”

 

“Ah,” The Oni said, seemingly pleased with her interest. “There are only a few, but they are all very important,” she explained. “Rule number one: You are not allowed to say you love him. If you do, you lose automatically.”

 

Akane’s heart sank. “But that’s not fair,” she said. “How am I supposed to get him to say it, if I can’t even tell him how I feel?”

 

The Hannya looked at her with narrowed eyes. “He must say it of his own volition, Akane,” she reminded her. “If you were to say it first, then he would have been given, shall we say, a little push. And that,” she said, shaking a finger in her direction, “makes it much too easy.”

 

“But that’s not fair,” Akane repeated.

 

The Oni smiled. “I must have some sort of advantage,” she said. “Or else, what’s the point in playing? Rules make it challenging. Without a challenge, it wouldn’t be fair to me, now would it?”

 

Akane silently fumed. It was just like an Oni to tip the odds in his or her favor. “You said there were a few rules,” she seethed. “What are the rest? Does he have to be blindfolded and standing on top of Tokyo Tower when he says it or something?” 

 

The Hannya laughed. “No, no, child, nothing like that,” she said. “As I explained earlier, he must say it within three days. The time begins as soon as you open your eyes.”

 

“And it ends at that exact time on the third day, right?”

 

The Oni nodded. “Any later—a minute later—is too late.”

 

Akane frowned as she tried to take in all the new information.

 

“Other than that,” the Oni continued, “there are no rules. You may try anything you can think of to get him to admit his feelings for you. Although,” she said, “you may not use magic or drugs—”

 

“—and it must be of his own volition,” Akane interrupted. “Yeah, I know.”

 

“Well then,” the Oni prompted, looking at her expectantly. “Have you made your decision yet?”

 

Shaking her head, Akane sighed. “Can I have a little more time to make up my mind?” she asked quietly.

 

“You may.”

 

Looking around her, she scanned her surroundings. She couldn’t even begin to imagine what it would be like trapped here for eternity—even staying here a moment longer, was much too long. The blackness around her was stifling and the small amount of light that the Oni did give off, did nothing to soothe her worries.

 

But would such a fate be worst than what the Hannya had in store for her, if she lost?

 

Akane groaned in frustration. She was no closer to making a decision now than she was in the beginning.

 

This was all Ranma’s fault, she thought angrily. It would be so much easier to make this decision if she just knew how the dummy felt about her. Did he hate her? Did he like her even a little? Did she even have a chance?

 

If she accepted the offer, how did she know she wouldn’t lose before she’d even begun? Akane sighed, feeling helpless.

 

And then she heard it: A voice, calling out to her.

 

But it wasn’t just any voice.

 

“Ranma?” Akane began to look around, searching for her fiancée.

 

Then, she heard it again; Ranma, pleading with her to open her eyes.

 

Across from her, the Hannya smiled.

 

How could this be? Akane wondered. Why could she hear him but not see him?

 

“He’s not here, Akane,” the Oni explained, “He’s in Jusendou, waiting for you...”

 

Akane fought back a wave of disappointment, as she nodded mutely. Of course, she thought sadly. There’s no way he could be here… Any further thoughts were driven away as his voice came to her again. But there was something… strange about it. It didn’t sound overly-confident, boastful, or arrogant, like usual.

 

He sounded… so sad.

 

Was he crying…?

 

She stood there, amazed, listening intently to every word Ranma spoke, not believing her ears. He was pleading with her, apologizing, begging her to open her eyes and return to him.

 

And then, just as quickly, the desperation was gone from his voice as he asked her to simply listen, saying that there was something he wanted to tell her…

 

…And Akane’s breath caught in her throat as her heart raced. She could feel it—the longing in his voice, the guilt—and when he screamed her name, all of his emotions washed over her, stronger than ever: the agony—the love—it was enveloping her, surrounding her.

 

Akane smiled softly. Finally, she knew what she had to do.

 

She turned towards the Oni. “Please,” she said quietly. “I agree to your terms.”

 

“Then close your eyes,” the Hannya commanded.

 

And Akane obeyed.

 

*           *           *

End of Chapter 2

*           *           *

 

Authors Notes:

 

Whoa! Can you believe I actually finished this in ONE day! I am still in shock. I have NEVER written a chapter that quickly before (Just ask the people who have been waiting around 6 months for the next chapter of THE GAME). Seriously, though, this chapter just wrote itself! Of course, it was just the first draft and I had to fix it up a lot, but still—ONE day! I amaze even myself sometimes… ;)

 

I’m really sorry I said you’d get to see Ranma in this chapter and it didn’t happen… but I just had to end it there. It’s what the Chapter wanted… But don’t worry—he’s in the next one. I promise. In fact, he’s the first word. ^_^

 

Okay, if you couldn’t tell already, this story takes place during the Jusendou story arc—right around the moment when Ranma’s trying to get the cold water for Akane, and her eyes have closed completely…

 

This story is based completely off the manga, so if I referred to any moments that you haven’t read yet, or that left you completely confused, then feel free to go to my website and read the MANGA MOMENTS section. **shameless plug, shameless plug**

 

Either way, I hope you’re enjoying this story so far... ^_^

 

ajewell@alumni.nmu.edu

jewellangela@yahoo.com

 

http://ranma-romance.com

 

 

_______________________________________________________________